Arzu Demir

Arzu Demir was born in Istanbul in 1974. She started her bachelor degree at Yıldız Technical University’s Department of Environmental Engineering in 1991 but never graduated. Arzu Demir has been working as a journalist since 1997. She worked for the Gündem newspaper, the Fırat News Agency (ANF), the Etkin News Agency (ETHA), the Özgür Gençlik magazine, Özgür Radio, the Özgür Bakış, and Demokrat Radio. She wrote the books, “Medreseden 5 No’lu Nuri Yoldaş”, “Dağın Kadın Hali”, “Devrimin Rojava Hali” (The Rojava Revolution) and “Suruç’ta kalanların dilinden: Kobane’ye gitmek.”

Arzu Demir was taken under custody in the scope of a “KCK [Kurdistan Communities Union - an umbrella group for all the pro-Öcalan political parties of Kurdistan, including the PKK, PYD, PJAK, and PÇDK.] operation” against the Kurdish media outlets, including Dicle News Agency, the Özgür Gündem newspaper, the Fırat News Agency and Roj TV in 2011. After four days, she was released. Since then, Arzu Demir has been prosecuted for “being a member of a terrorist organization.” Demir is facing from 7 years 6 months to 15 years of imprisonment. The prosecutor’s office, has not yet presented its opinion as to the accusations in this trial that started at September 2012.

In 2016, Arzu Demir was accused of “making propaganda for a terrorist organization” in her books “Devrimin Rojava Hali” (2015) and “Dağın Kadın Hali” (2014). The trial ended in 2017, and Demir was sentenced to six years in prison. The Court of Appeal approved the verdict of “Dağın Kadın Hali,” but reversed the decision regarding “Devrimin Rojava Hali.” Upon the prosecutor’s appeal, the case continues in the Court of Cassation.

Demir moved to Belgium. She has a TV program in and writes for several media outlets including the ETHA, and the Özgür Politika magazine.

“KCK Press” Trial

An operation against Kurdish media outlets, including Dicle News Agency, the Özgür Gündem newspaper, the Fırat News Agency and Roj TV in Istanbul, Ankara, İzmir, Van, Adana, and Diyarbakır was launched on Dec. 20, 2011. Forty-nine journalists, including Arzu Demir were arrested.

Arzu Demir was taken into custody in the early morning at her home in Istanbul. She was brought to the Anti-Terror Branch of the Istanbul Police Headquarters on Vatan street. The journalists and lawyers couldn’t get any information regarding the accusations from the authorities, and they have been told there was a confidentiality order on the file. Arzu Demir used her right to remain silent during the interrogation in the Police Headquarters. After she was interrogated by the prosecutor she refused all allegations on Dec. 23, 2011.

The journalists were brought to the hospital for “medical release” in the early hours on Dec. 23, 2011. After the hospital, she was brought to the courthouse in Beşiktaş. Seven out of 49 journalists were released after the interrogation. The prosecutor’s office sent 42 journalists to the court and requested an arrest warrant. Arzu Demir was among them.

Six of the 42 were released by the court, including Demir on Dec. 24, 2011. Thirty-six journalist were arrested.

Demir and Evrim Kepenek, another defendant journalists filed a complaint against the Star, Zaman, Sabah, and Bugün newspapers because of the coverage about them. Demir and Kepenek accused the newspapers for “violating confidentiality” and “attempting to influence a fair trial” with the reports titled “58 arrests in KCK media trial” (“KCK medyası davasında 58 gözaltı”), “38 million Euros from KCK to the press” (“KCK’dan basına 38 milyon Euro”) and “Are they journalists or terrorists?” (“Gazeteci mi, terörist mi?”).

The Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office ruled for a decision of non-prosecution and stated that the reports were for informing the public.

Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office issued the indictment against 44 journalists on April 27, 2012.

In the indictment, it was claimed that the “KCK/PKK Media Committee” and “Democratic Enlightenment Union” (“Demokratik Aydınlanma Birliği” - Yekîtiya Ragihandina Demokratik – YRD) were shaping the editorial policies of the Kurdish media outlets.

In the indictment, 44 journalists were accused of “being a member of a terrorist organization” and “managing a terrorist organization.”

In the indictment, it was stated the “KCK/PKK Media Committee has been organizing meetings to strengthen the hierarchy in the media structure of the organization since 2001”; that “these conferences evolved YRD conferences”; and that “the KCK/PKK Media Committee aims to form an editorial policy in line with the aim of building a Kurdish state.”

In the indictment the journalistic activities were defined as “organizational activities” and the prosecutor used phrases such as “so-called journalism”; “reports that could tarnish the state’s image”; “reports that could cause trouble for the state”; and it was claimed that “photos in the computer were defaming state officials” and “any independent journalists would never write these kinds of reports.”

In the 800-page indictment, the structure of the KCK/PKK was explained for 37 pages. The prosecutor’s fixations, the testimonies of three former members of PKK who were either surrendered or caught and three anonymous witnesses’ testimonies were included in this section. In addition to these, the meeting notes of Abdullah Öcalan [the PKK leader] and his lawyers, and the correspondences between lawyers were also included in the indictment.

In the indictment, the history of Kurdish media, the media outlets since the 1970s and their alleged affiliation with the organization were explained.

Claiming that the Kurdish media outlets were “broadcasting in line with the aims of the PKK/KCK,” the prosecutor’s office presented the reports, videos, articles, and interviews of these media outlets, the testimonies of the suspects and the media chapter of the KCK Pact as evidence.

In the indictment, the professional activities of the journalists, their works with the Roj TV and ANF were considered as evidence of the crime.

The Dicle News Agency (DİHA), the Fırat Basım Yayım Dağıtım Company, the Gün Publishing House (the Azadiya Welat, the Denge Welat, the Özgür Gündem, the Yeni Demokratik Toplum, the Yeni Demokratik Yaşam, the Yeni Demokratik Ulus newspapers; the Özgür Halk, the Demokratik Modernite, the Yurtsever Gençlik magazines were published in this publishing house), the Fırat News Agency (ANF), the Azadiya Welat newspaper, the Özgür Gündem, Roj Tv, Medya Tv, and Mezopotamya Radio were listed as “media outlets that are affiliated with the KCK/PKK.”

The 15-pages long Arzu Demir section of the indictment began with a General Information Scan [“Genel Bilgi Tarama (GBT)] that lists the dates of arrests, in which Demir was taken under custody while covering reports or press conferences.

The indictment mentioned the date of Arzu Demir’ trip abroad 10 years ago but didn’t mention her destination. In the interrogation at the prosecutor’s office, Arzu Demir was asked if she was attending a meeting of the PKK in Northern Iraq, and Demir answered that she was in a journalistic trip in Germany that was organized by the Independent Communication Network and Henrich Böll Stiftung.

In the indictment, the reports, communications with journalists who work for the same outlets as Demir, news videos, photographs, and notes were presented as evidence.

The laptop, camera, memory card (which belonged to the ETHA), mobile phone, SIM card, a flash disk “with Fen Bilimleri Dershanesi logo”; the photograph of imprisoned writer Sami Özbil, a notebook that was distributed at the International Local Governance Women’s Conference which was held in Diyarbakır in 2008, notes with her handwriting and the note that her phone number was in the phonebook of Deniz Zarakalu [a politician who was prosecuted in the KCK main trial] were listed under the title of “Items that were confiscated from the suspect.”

In the indictment it was claimed that Demir’s “investigation was for making the organization’s propaganda”; that “the photographs in the laptops were defaming state officials”; that “HDP [the Peoples’ Democratic Congress - an umbrella organization which consists of multiple leftist parties and individuals] was founded upon the order of Öcalan”; that “the Socialist Women’s Assembly [SKM - women’s organization linked to a socialist party, ESP] is a component of HDK”; that “notes on HDK and SKM were found in Demir’s residence.”

Also, it was claimed that Demir’s reportings titled “Gerger: Türkiye Savaş Kışkırtıcılığı yapıyor” [“Gerger: Turkey is warmongering,” dated Nov. 17, 2011] and “Cezaevinde bir çocuk büyür” [“A child grows up in a prison,” dated Nov. 25, 2011” were accused of “making a terrorist organization’s propaganda.”

Other evidence in the indictment are listed below:

Regarding her phone recordings:

  • On Dec. 16, 2011, Demir called her editor İsmet Kayhan - also a defendant and who worked for ANF - to ask to whom she would send an interview. Kayhan replied that he would be the one to edit the piece.

  • On Dec. 16, 2011, she asked one of her sources - who was mentioned as “X” in the indictment - about the time of a press conference in front of the Beşiktaş courthouse.

  • Her reporting on the commemoration of Operation Return to Life [during the week of December 19-26, 2000, 10,000 Turkish soldiers violently occupied 48 prisons to end two months of hunger strikes and “death fasts” by hundreds of political prisoners. The operation left at least 31 prisoners and two soldiers dead, eight prisoners are reportedly “disappeared,” and at least 426 prisoners were wounded] on the Roj TV via phone call.

It was claimed that the three phone calls mentioned above were intended to “make propaganda for the KCK/PKK” and “Demir was transferring information to the organization’s media committee’s media outlet in Europe, Roj TV.”

  • The prosecutor’s office claimed Demir’s phone call with Zülfikar Ali Aydın - a reporter for Habertürk - about the arrival of the HPG members’ mortal remains to the Istanbul Institution of Forensic Medicine as “a report which intended to make the organization’s propaganda” and that “Demir was trying to gather information about forensic identification research and İsmet Kayhan was following the incident.”

  • Demir’s phone call with Çağdaş Kaplan - another defendant of the trial - and their banter about an interview that she prepared for ANF was interpreted as “Demir made the interview for ANF, ANF was a news agency that was linked to İsmet Kayhan, the person in charge of the organization’s media committee’s European branch, therefore it was understood that Demir was working for the media committee of the organization.”

  • In the indictment it was mentioned that Demir has 681 e-mail conversations with İsmet Kayhan. And referring to an anonymous witness’ testimony, it was claimed that Kayhan was asked for reporting in favor of the organization.

Below are the items confiscated from Demir that were listed as evidence:

  • Some paragraphs related to the Kurdish question in Demir’s notes on Word files.

  • The “complimentary” videos of Mazlum Doğan, İbrahim Kaypakkaya, Deniz Gezmiş, Hüseyin İnan [prominent socialist and Kurdish individuals who were killed during torture or by the death sentence in Turkey’s recent history].

  • Photographs and videos from protests, including chanting protestors and a protestor with a Molotov cocktail.

  • Songs of Grup Yorum [a socialist music band] uploaded to the laptop.

  • Notes, analysis and reports on the PKK and the Peace Process [a series of dialogues between the PKK and Turkish state that started at the end of 2012 and ended in July 2015].

  • Photographs, videos and press releases of some of the socialist organizations.

  • Photographs of Metin Lokumcu’s funeral, a teacher who lost his life after police used tear gas on a protest in Artvin, Hopa, which was held against then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s meeting just before the General Elections of 2011.

  • Photographs of Halk Cephesi Dev-Genç’s [the People’s Front - a socialist group] protest against the NATO missile shields located in Turkey.

  • Photographs of a banner with “The December 19 massacre is not forgotten, and will not be forgotten” which was held in a meeting.

  • Notes on the Gündem newspaper and its circulation.

  • A brochure about HDK and an anonymous witness’ - named “Tazgah” - testimonies on the HDK.

  • Notes on the activities of Socialist Youth Associations Federation [“Sosyalist Gençlik Dernekleri Federasyonu” (SGDF) - a socialist youth organization linked to ESP].

  • Handwritten notes on “female workers”, “workshop on women’s bodies”, “October Revolution as the liberation of women”, “The liberation of women in Marxist theory and its pioneers”, and “Women’s domestic labor.” These notes were considered as “lessons on women’s and Marxist ideology at the Political Academy which is a subordinate structure of the KCK/PKK.”

  • Notes on the 1st Women’s Academy.

  • Meeting notes on the Socialist Women’s Assembly.

In the chapter titled “Legal evaluation,” prosecutor stated that Demir is “in contact with İsmet Kayhan who was allegedly the person in charge of the organization’s media committee’s Europen branch”; that “Kayhan was directing Demir for the reports that would be published in ANF”; that “Demir wrote reports which were the organization’s propaganda”; that “Through airing on Roj TV via phone call, Demir gave information about the Operation Return to Life”; that “she had notes and documents related to the organization.” Stating that “Demir was active in the KCK/PKK terrorist organization’s media committee” and the prosecutor’s office accused Demir of “being a member of a terrorist organization.”

The trial sparked the right to defend in mother tongue discussions. The trial started on Sept. 10, 2012, at the Istanbul 15th Special Assize Court and continued at the same court for 32 hearings until March 3, 2014.

When the trial started, it was held at the Çağlayan Courthouse and then moved to the Silivri Courthouse on Nov. 12, 2012. From March 26, 2014, to Jan. 11, 2018, 15 hearings were held at the Istanbul 3rd High Criminal Court in the Çağlayan Courthouse. The imprisoned journalists had to be brought to the courthouse from various prisons for days-long hearings.

At the beginning of the trial, upon the court’s rejection of the request to make a defense in one’s mother tongue, several protests occurred in the courtroom. All of the journalists and lawyers who were imprisoned in the scope of several KCK trials started a hunger strike. The defendants continued to introduce themselves in Kurdish during the hearings.

Several protests and discussions occurred in the courtroom. The mics of the defense lawyers had been turned off several times, and observers were cleared from the courtroom. The Istanbul 15th High Criminal Court filed criminal complaints six times against the audience, observers, lawyers, and defendants.

After merging the 44-defendant indictment and another indictment with 2 defendants, the indictment consisted of 185 pages, and it took six days to be read aloud in the courtroom. Two TRT presenters read the indictment in turns.

Another indictment against two defendants was merged with the case in January 2013. The indictment then became 187 pages long. When the procedure of reading the indictment was completed in the 12th hearing, 11 of the 37 imprisoned journalists had already been released.

In the 12th hearing, the defense lawyers brought an interpreter from the Kurdish Institute (Enstîtuya Kurdî). Ertuş Bozkurt, an editor for DİHA who was an imprisoned defendant, read a 25-page common defense in Kurdish on behalf of all defendants.

After the common defense, the journalists defended themselves individually. The court completed gathering the imprisoned journalists’ defenses in the 17th hearing on June 18, 2013. After the statements of the lawyers, in the 19th hearing, the defendants who were on trial without arrest started to defend themselves on Sept. 25, 2013.

Arzu Demir defended herself in the 20th hearing on Sept. 26, 2013. Demir started her defense by noting that the police came to ETHA bureau where she worked professionally upon an apprehension warrant due to her absence in the hearings of June 17-18, 2013. And added that she will file a complaint. In the 19th hearing that was held a day before, while Çağdaş Kaplan was defending himself in the court, the police went to his office, but Kaplan’s complaint was rejected.

Demir said when she couldn’t attend the hearings, because the police had raided her house due to her reporting on the Gezi protests, and the police “sexually tortured” her in her own bedroom.

Noting that she was one of the few Turkish defendants of the trial that targeted the Kurdish press, Demir said her suffering is less than her imprisoned colleagues. Demir stated that the trial was a part of a political phase, this political showdown occurred through the KCK Press trial, and through the operation targeting the Kurdish media “a political tradition was continued.”

Demir, said she introduced herself in Kurdish, which she doesn’t speak, because of conscientiously and humanistic reasons, and added that as a socialist journalist she considers journalism as an “attitude towards life.”

Noting the ANF was Netherlands-based news agency, which broadcasts in six languages, was the first source regarding the Kurdish issue, Demir presented examples of mainstream media’s references to the ANF.

Demir emphasized that her section of the indictment was written at the very last minute, and the reports listed in the indictment weren’t from ANF but ETHA. “The indictment was written by a crime fabricating mind,” Demir said, adding the GBT records weren’t reflecting the truth. She said she hadn’t been taken under custody in the scope of an “MLKP operation,” she was taken under custody four times while she was covering protests, press meetings, and commemorations. She said that she was exposed to “battery, and the sexual torture of electric shocks to the head and sexual organs.”

Regarding her trip abroad in February 2002, she said that she was on a journalistic trip in Germany that was organized by “bianet” and Henrich Böll Stiftung.

Demir rebuked the prosecutor’s interpretation of her phone recordings, notes and reports as “a terrorist organization’s propaganda.” She said: “I am a journalist. I have been covering these issues for the past 15 years. It is a choice. You cannot ask me why I am covering these issues. That would be judging my thoughts. But the law judges actions.”

Demir recalled that regarding the phone conversation with her colleague Çağdaş Kaplan - they were bantering as “You are gonna drop that bomb” - the prosecutor asked her “what was that bomb.” Demir said that it was a term used in journalism that means getting a scoop on the news.

Emphasizing that if there is an affiliation with the organization, the prosecutor’s office had to prove that, Demir said the daily social relations, conversations with her colleagues and friends were presented as an “organizational relationship.”

Demir read all of the evidence against her in the hearing. When she criticized the indictment, the presiding judge interrupted her and said, “We don’t intervene because of our kindness. But your tone exceeds the limits of the defense.”

Demir reiterated there was no investigation on the reports which were quoted in the indictment.

Regarding the items which were confiscated from her residence, Demir said none of them were hers, including handwritten notes, and continued: “I am not saying they are crimes. But if they would have been analyzed, they would have understood that none of them are mine, so they wouldn’t be included in the case, and I wouldn’t have to talk about them.”

Saying that the indictment was groundless, “This was a trial of a political phase, and I believe it should end by now,” Demir said.

Upon Judge’s question on the items confiscated from her residence, Demir said the computers belonged to ETHA, the handwritten notes were not hers because she was living with 4-5 journalists. When Judge asked her roommates’ names, Demir replied, “I don’t believe it is relevant to the investigation,” and didn’t answer the question.

In the 21st hearing of the trial, the court ruled to request a report from the Institution of Forensic Medicine on whether or not the handwritten notes belonged to Demir. The Institution of Forensic Medicine replied that some of the defendants’ handwriting samples were insufficient, the court ruled to take new handwriting sample from Demir.

Other hearings continued with the other defendants’ defenses.

In the 30th hearing, which was held on Jan. 13, 2014, the lawyers noted there was a discussion on the withdrawal of the Special Assize Courts, and that discussion put the Istanbul 15th Special Assize Court in a questionable position, and requested to stop the judicial process and demand the release of the imprisoned defendants.

The court rejected the request. However, after the withdrawal of the Special Assize Courts with a law amendment on Feb. 21, 2014, the trial continued at the Istanbul 3rd High Criminal Court in the Çağlayan Courthouse. After the withdrawal of the Special Assize Courts, the imprisoned journalists were released.

In a hearing held on July 10, 2014, the defense lawyers said the Special Assize Courts lost their legitimacy, therefore the continuation of the trial was a violation of the Constitution. The Istanbul 3rd High Criminal Court sent the file to the Constitutional Court. The court waited for the Constitutional Court’s answer for two hearings. After 16 months, the court ruled to continue the prosecution at the same court, reasoning that the Constitutional Court didn’t answer for 16 months.

The defense lawyers reiterated their request to wait for the Constitutional Court’s answer and acquittal of all of the defendants. In the next hearing, the defense lawyers said most of the police authorities, prosecutors and judges who took part in the investigation and prosecution were fugitive or arrested after the 15th of July coup attempt, and requested to include all of the judicial proceedings in the file. The court accepted the request, and also ruled to include all of the other investigations and prosecutions against the defendant journalists in the case file.

Out of 46 defendants, only İsmet Kayhan did not defend himself in the court. Evidence was not presented.

The court awaits the Istanbul 26th Penal Court of First Instance to send the file about the police officers who took part in the investigation and prosecution and the execution of the apprehension warrant against İsmet Kayhan.

The 16th and last hearing of the trial was held on May 21, 2019. Even though the trial continued for the past seven years, the prosecutor still didn’t explain his opinion on the accusations. The next hearing of the trial will be held on Oct. 22, 2019, at 10:00 am.

17th hearing of the case took place at October 22nd, 2019. Next hearing is set to February 25th, 2020.

The 19th hearing of the trial took place on July 2nd. The president of the court stated that the writ sent to the General Secretariat of Council of Judges and Prosecutors (HSK) about the progress in the trial was added to the case file. Accordingly, HSK demanded information from the court for the disciplinary investigation against Bilal Bayraktar, a prosecutor dismissed for alleged “membership of the Fethullahist Terror Organization.” Bayraktar was the prosecutor in charge of indictment and hearings at KCK Press Trial. Journalist Çağdaş Ulus’ lawyer Mehtap Acar Ulus stated that her client was included in the trial via manipulation. She demanded that his file be separated from the collective file and Ulus be acquitted. The court ruled to await the execution of the arrest warrant against İsmet Kayhan, who lives abroad.

The 20th hearing was held on December 1st, 2020. Two members of the panel of judges had changed.

Of the defendant journalists, only İsmail Yıldız (Rawin Sterk) attended the hearing. İstanbul 34th High Criminal Court had decided to merge the case file for “membership of an armed terror organization” and “spreading propaganda in a continuous manner for a terror organization” with the case file of the “KCK Press Trial”. The court stated that it had received the said file.

Lawyer Özcan Kılıç demanded the cancellation of İsmail Yıldız’s overseas travel ban. He requested that Yüksel Genç be relieved from the obligation to attend the hearings. The court accepted both requests.

Mehtap Acar Ulus, the lawyer of journalist Çağdaş Ulus, requested that her client’s trial be separated from the main file. The request was rejected.

The court ruled to lift Yüksel Genç’s obligation to attend the hearings.

The trial was adjourned until the 21st hearing on March 4th, 2021.

In this case, which is underway since September 2012, prosecution has not provided their opinion as to the accusations, yet.

European Court of Human Right Process

At November 20th, European Court of Human Rights(ECHR) denied the request regarding the case in which the journalists were being tried, with the reasoning that making a personal appeal to the Constitutional Court was still possible. The attorneys had made the request due to false imprisonment. However, at the time of the arrests and the request to the ECHR, the requirement to make the individual appeal to the Constitutional Court prior to the application to the ECHR, had not come into force.

21. Standing - March 4, 2021

Mahkeme heyetinin yerini almasıyla birlikte duruşma, daha önceden belirlenen saatinde başladı. Yargılanan gazetecilerden Rawin Stêrk Yıldız ve avukatlar duruşmada hazır bulundu.
Duruşma savcısı dosyadaki eksik hususların tamamlanmasını istedi.

Avukat Sercan Korkmaz, müvekkili Rawin Stêrk Yıldız’ın el konulan telefonun iade edilmesini talep etti. Davanın diğer avukatları da dosyadaki eksiklerin giderilmesin talep etti.

Mahkeme heyeti, İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının devamı yönünde karar verdi. Gazeteci Rawin Stêrk Yıldız’ın el konulan telefonun iade edilmesini yönündeki talebin sonraki duruşma karara bağlayacağını açıklayan mahkeme heyeti, eksik hususların tamamlanmasının beklenilmesine karar verdi.

Mahkeme, duruşmayı 22 Haziran 2021 tarihine, saat 10:30’a erteledi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Adliyeye girişler Covid-19 salgını nedeniyle tek sıra halinde yapıldı. HES kodu sorgulaması yapıldı. Kapıların girişleri bariyer ve uyarı yazıları ile bir birinden ayrıldı. Yurttaşlar, gazeteciler ve avukatlar X-Ray cihazından geçirildi. Yurttaşlar, ateş ölçümü yapılarak adliyeye alındı. Duruşmanın yapıldığı salonunun önü çok kalabalık değildi. Gazetecilerin duruşma salonu önüne geçmesine engel çıkarılmadı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu, adliyedeki standart salonlardan bir tanesiydi. SEGBİS için iki ayrı ekran kurulmuştu. Gazeteci ve izleyiciler için ayrı bir yer, avukat ve sanıklar için ayrı yer ayrılmıştı. İzleyici sıralarına pandemi dolayısıyla uyarı yazıları asıldığı görüldü. İzleyiciler duruşma salonuna alınmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmayı P24 ve bazı internet haber siteleri izledi.

20. Standing - Dec. 1, 2020

Saat 09.50’de başlaması gereken duruşma, yaklaşık 15 dakika gecikmeyle, saat 10.05’te başladı. Mahkeme heyetinden iki üyenin değiştiği gözlendi.

Duruşmaya, yargılanan gazetecilerden sadece İsmail Yıldız (Rawin Sterk) katıldı. İstanbul 34. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi, Yıldız hakkında “silahlı terör örgütüne üye olmak” ve “zincirleme şekilde terör örgütü propagandası yapmak” suçlaması ile açılan davanın yargılama dosyasının “KCK Basın Davası” yargılama dosyası ile birleştirilmesine karar vermişti. Bu dosyanın mahkemeye geldiği belirtildi.

Duruşma savcısı, dosyadaki eksiklerin giderilmesini talep etti.

Avukat Özcan Kılıç, İsmail Yıldız hakkında uygulanan yurt dışına çıkış yasağının kaldırılmasını talep etti.

Gazeteci Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatı Mehtap Acar Ulus ise, Ulus hakkındaki yargılama dosyasının ana dosyadan ayrılmasını talep etti.

Mahkeme heyeti, duruşmaya kısa bir ara verdi.

Mahkeme, Yüksel Genç’in duruşmalara katılma zorunluluğunun kaldırılmasına karar verdi.

İsmail Yıldız’ın da yurtdışına çıkış yasağının kaldırılmasına karar verildi.

Çağdaş Ulus hakkındaki yargılama dosyasının ayrılması talebi reddedildi.

Yargılamanın, 4 Mart 2021 tarihinde görülecek 21. duruşma ile devam etmesine karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Koronavirüs karşısında alınan önlemler kapsamında, adliyeye; tek sıra halinde girilebildi. Bu düzen, bariyerler ve uyarı yazıları ile sağlandı. Ateş ölçümü ve X-Ray taraması yapıldı.

Duruşmanın yapıldığı salonun önü çok kalabalık değildi. Gazetecilerin, duruşma salonunun önünde beklemesi engellenmedi.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonunda; gazeteciler, gözlemciler, avukatlar ve sanıklar için hazırlanan yerler birbirinden ayrıydı.

İzleyiciler için ayrılan her iki oturma yerinden biri, koronavirüs karşısında alınan sosyal mesafe önleminin sağlanması için uyarı yazıları ile kapatılmıştı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmayı, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) gözlemcisi ve bazı internet haber sitelerinin muhabirleri takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Koronavirüs pandemisi karşısında alınan tedbirler kapsamında, gazetecilerin ve gözlemcilerin duruşma salonuna alınmayacağı belirtildi. Ancak, bu sırada duruşma başlamış, gazeteciler ve gözlemciler duruşma salonundaki yerlerini almıştı. Gazeteci ve gözlemcilerin, bir seferliğine duruşmayı izlemelerine izin verildi.

Mahkeme başkanı gergindi. Taleplerini dile getiren Avukat Özcan Kılıç’a karşı iki kez sesini yükseltti.

19. Standing - July 2, 2020

Duruşma, gelen evrakların tutanağa geçirilmesiyle başladı.

Mahkeme heyeti başkanı; Hakimler ve Savcılar Kurulu (HSK) Genel Sekreterliği’nden bu yargılamanın geldiği aşama ile ilgili bilginin istendiği yazının dosyaya eklendiğini açıkladı. Buna göre, HSK; “Fethullahçı Terör Örgütü üyesi olduğu” iddiasıyla meslekten çıkarılan savcı Bilal Bayraktar ile ilgili disiplin soruşturması için mahkemeden bilgi istiyordu. Savcı Bayraktar, “KCK Basın” yargılamasının soruşturma ve iddianame savcısıydı.

Gazeteci Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatı Mehtap Acar Ulus, Çağdaş Ulus’un bir manipülasyon yoluyla bu davaya dahil edildiğini söyledi. Çağdaş Ulus hakkındaki dosyanın, bu dosyadan ayrılmasını ve Ulus’un beraatini talep etti.

Hakimler ve Savcılar Kurulu‘nun (HSK) savcı Bilal Bayraktar hakkındaki disiplin soruşturması kapsamında, “KCK Basın” yargılamasıyla ilgili gelişmelerin ve kararın HSK Genel Sekreterliği’ne bildirilmesine yönelik yazı, dosyaya eklendi.

“FETÖ üyesi olduğu” iddiasıyla meslekten çıkartılan savcı Bayraktar, “KCK Basın” dosyasının da soruşturma ve iddianame savcısıydı.

Çağdaş Ulus müdafii avukat Mehtap Acar Ulus, müvekkili hakkında beraat talebiyle yazılı beyan sundu. Ulus’un dosyasının KCK Basın dosyasından ayrılmasını talep etti.

Diğer sanık müdafiileri, bu aşamada bir talepleri olmadığını söyledi.

Mahkeme, Çağdaş Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılması yönündeki talebini reddetti.

HSK’nın iddianame savcısı Bilal Bayraktar hakkında yürüttüğü disiplin soruşturması için, yargılamanın her aşamasının HSK Genel Sekreterliği’ne bildirilmesine karar verildi.

Ayrıca, sanıklardan yurtdışında ikamet eden İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının yerine getirilmesinin beklenmesine karar verildi.

Yargılamanın, 1 Aralık 2020 tarihinde görülecek 20. duruşma ile devam etmesine karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Güvenlik görevlisi, bariyerlerin geçilmesine izin verdi. Duruşma öncesi salonun önü boştu. Avukatlar tam duruşma saatinde, salonun önüne geldi.

Avukatlardan birinin beklenmesine karar verildi. Avukatın, o sırada başka bir mahkemede karar beklediği için geciktiği belirtildi.

Duruşma 10 dakika gecikmeli başladı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonunda yaklaşık 25 kişilik oturma alanı vardı. “Koronavirüs” pandemisi karşısında alınan tedbirleri kapsamında, sosyal mesafenin sağlanması için sandalyelere birer aralıkla bantlar çekilmişti.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) ve Türkiye Gazeteciler Sendikası’ndan gözlemciler katıldı.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma 18 dakika sürdü.

Pandemi nedeniyle izleme alanında fiziksel mesafe önlemleri alınmıştı ancak salonda bulunan mahkeme başkanı, iki heyet üyesi, savcı ve katip arasında sadece bir mahkeme heyeti üyesi maskesini takıyordu.

Mahkeme başkanı duruşma boyunca mikrofonunu kullanmadı ve kısık sesle konuştu. Söyledikleri izleyiciler tarafından duyulmadı.

18. Standing - Feb. 25, 2020

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 10 dakika sonra başladı, karar için verilen 5 dakikalık ara dahil, toplam 35 dakika sürdü.

Duruşmaya, Ses ve Görüntülü Bilişim Sistemi (SEGBİS) ile katılması beklenen Yüksel Genç, mahkeme salonunda hazır bulundu. Genç, yaptığı savunmayı ayrıca yazılı olarak da sundu.

Genç savunmasında, hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen ve daha sonra “KCK Basın” ile birleştirilen dosyanın iddianamesine tepki gösterdi. Demokratik Toplum Kongresi (DTK) kuruculuğuyla suçlandığı bu dosyadaki deliller arasında hakkındaki teknik takip delillerinin de gösterildiğini, ancak kendisinin o tarihlerde “KCK Basın” davasından tutuklu olduğunu açıkladı.

DTK’da 2009-2011 arası görev yaptığını ve DTK’nın yasadışı bir yapı olmadığını söyledi, suçlamaları reddetti. TBMM Anayasa Komisyonu’nun DTK’dan resmi olarak görüş istediğine dair belgeyi mahkemeye sundu.

Sanıklardan Hüseyin Deniz de salonda hazır bulundu. Deniz bu aşamada söyleyecek bir şeyi olmadığını ifade etti.

Ardından Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatlığını üstlenen eşi sözü aldı. Ulus’la 5 senedir tanıştıklarını, çocuklarının 1 yaşında olduğunu ancak bu davanın halen devam ettiğini söyledi. Ayrıca eşi Ulus’un 2011’de gözaltına alınmadan birkaç ay önce zorunlu askerlik hizmetini yerine getirdiğini anlattı; teröristlikle suçlanmasına tepki gösterdi. Dosyasının ayrılmasını talep etti.

Ardından söz alan diğer tüm sanıklar müdafii Özcan Kılıç, öncelikle Yüksel Genç’in duruşmalardan vareste tutulmasını talep etti. Sanıklardan Ziya Çiçekçi hakkında açılan başka bir dosyanın birleştirilmesini de istedi.

Kılıç, müvekkillerinin DTK üyesi olmakla suçlandığını, ancak DTK’nın yasadığı bir yapı olmadığını anlattı. DTK’nın yasadışı bir örgüt olup olmadığının tespit edilmesini talep etti.

Avukat Kılıç, “KCK Basın’ dosyasının soruşturma aşamasında gözaltına alınan, o dönem AFP (Agence France Presse, Fransız Haber Ajansı) muhabiri Mustafa Özer’in MİT ajanı olduğunun ortaya çıktığını” iddia etti. İlk başta şüpheli listesinde yer alan ancak şu an dosyada bulunmayan Özer’in mahkeme huzurunda dinlenmesini talep etti.

Mahkeme karar için 5 dakika ara verdi.

Mahkeme sanıkların ve müdafilerinin tüm taleplerini reddetti.

İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama emrinin infazının beklenmesine karar verdi.

Bir sonraki duruşma 2 Temmuz 2020 saat 10.00’da görülecek.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşmadan birkaç dakika önce polis barikatı açılarak gazetecilerin salon önüne geçişine izin verildi.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu yaklaşık 30 kişilikti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve duruşmada konuşulan hiçbir şey izleyici bölümünden duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya sanık müdafii olarak sekiz avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı; Gazetecileri Koruma Komitesi (CPJ), P24 ve Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) temsilcileri takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 10 dakika sonra başladı, karar için verilen 5 dakikalık ara dahil, toplam 35 dakika sürdü.

Duruşma devam ederken, bir sonraki duruşmanın SEGBİS bağlantısı kuruldu ve SEGBİS’le bağlanan kişi kendi duruşmasını bekledi.

Duruşma esnasında mahkeme başkanının sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’e “sen” diyerek hitap etmesine bir avukat itiraz etti. Mahkeme başkanı “Bu sen-siz tartışması yıllardır sürüyor” dedi ve “sen” ifadesinin sıkıntılı bir ifade olmadığını söyleyerek duruşmaya devam etti.

Mahkeme karar için ara verdiğinde salon boşaltıldı. Ancak savcının salonda oturuyordu. 5 dakika sonra salonun kapısı açıldı. Mahkeme başkanının bir sonraki duruşma tarihini söylemesiyle duruşma sona erdi. Mahkeme başkanı erkek, heyetin iki üyesi kadın hakimdi.

17. Standing - Oct. 22, 2019

Bir önceki duruşmada, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen dosyanın KCK Basın dosyasıyla birleştirilmesi talebi, İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi tarafından reddedilmişti.

İki duruşma arasında, İstinaf Mahkemesi; Genç hakkındaki iki dosyanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde birleştirilmesine resen karar verdi.

Yargılamanın 17. duruşması, bu kararın dosyaya eklenmesiyle başladı. Yeni dosya eklendiği için Genç’in tekrar savunma sunması istendi. Avukat Özcan Kılıç, Genç’in savunması için Diyarbakır’da hazır edileceğini ifade etti.

Sanıklardan Ziya Çiçekçi hakkında, “terör örgütü yayınlarını basmak ve yayınlamak” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 15. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen dosyanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde birleştirilmesi için muvafakat (kabul etme) yazısı geldi. Avukat Özcan Kılıç da dosyaların birleştirilmesi talebinde bulundu.

Avukat Mehtap Acar Ulus, FETÖ suçlamasıyla yargılanan ve etkin pişmanlıktan yararlanan bir emniyet müdürünün, müvekkili Çağdaş Ulus’un sahte delillerle tutuklandığına dair ifadelerinin olduğunu belirtti ve bu konudaki delilleri mahkemeye sundu. Müvekkili Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılmasını talep etti.

Mahkeme, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in bir sonraki duruşmada savunmasını Ses ve Görüntü Bilişim Sistemi üzerinden (SEGBİS) sunmak üzere Diyarbakır’da bir mahkemede hazır edilmesi için talimat yazılmasına karar verdi.

Çağdaş Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılması yönündeki talebi reddetti. Ziya Çiçekçi’nin dosyasının birleştirilmesi talebini de reddetti.

İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının infazının beklenmesine de karar veren mahkeme bir sonraki duruşmanın 25 Şubat 2020 saat 10.30’da görüleceğini açıkladı.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşma öncesi gazetecilerin bir kısmının barikattan geçip mahkeme salonu önünde beklemesine izin verildi.

Mahkeme salonu önü kalabalıklaştıktan sonra ise barikattan geçişler kapatıldı. İki gazetecinin salon önüne yaklaşkasına duruşma başladığı ana kadar izin verilmedi.

Gazeteciler ve güvenlik görevlileri arasında tartışma yaşandı. Gazetecilerden biri, güvenlik görevlisine “keyfi davrandığını” söyledi. Bunun üzerine güvenlik görevlisi barikatı kapatarak “Sadece senin geçişine izin vermiyorum, keyfi değil mi” dedi.

Duruşmanın başlamasıyla, güvenlik şefi gelerek, gazetecilerin içeri girişini sağladı.

Mahkeme Salonu koşulları

Mahkeme salonu katılımcı sayısına göre genişti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve duruşmada konuşulan hiçbir şey izleyici bölümünden duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya sanık müdafii olarak altı avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı, P24 ve Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) temsilcileri ve gazeteciler takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 40 dakika sonra başladı, 25 dakika sürdü.

Salona girdikten sonra yaklaşık 10 dakika boyunca mahkeme katibi dosyayla ilgili telefonda konuştu. İzleyici bölümünden sadece “Burası terör mahkemesi değil” cümlesi duyuldu.

Avukatlar, konuşmanın; sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan dava dosyasının KCK Basın dosyasıyla birleştirilmesiyle ilgili olduğunu açıkladı.

Duruşma başladığında, avukatlardan biri başka bir adliyede de duruşması olduğu için ayrılacağını ifade etti. Bunun üzerine mahkeme başkanı öfkelendi, birkaç dakikalık bir tartışma yaşandı.

Mahkeme karar için ara verdiğinde salon boşaltıldı. Beş dakika sonra salonun kapısı açıldı. Mahkeme başkanının bir sonraki duruşma tarihini söylemesiyle duruşma sona erdi.

Mahkeme heyeti üyelerinden biri değişmişti. Mahkeme başkanı erkek, heyetin iki üyesi kadın hakimdi.

16. Standing - May 9, 2019

Mahkeme Başkanı, mikrofon kullanmadığı için 10 dakika süren duruşma boyunca katılımcılar çok az şey duyabildi.

Daha sonra duruşma tutanağından edinilen bilgiye göre, İstanbul İl Emniyet Müdürlüğü’nün sanık Dilek Demiral’ın pasaportu üzerindeki şerhin kaldırılması şeklindeki işlemlerin devam ettiği yönünde cevabı dosyaya eklendi.

Ayrıca “KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında görevi kötüye kullanma suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesinde görülen yargılamanın devam ettiğine dair cevap ve duruşma zaptı örneği de mahkemeye ulaştı. Avukat Özcan Kılıç, Ocak 2019’da görülen bir önceki duruşmada bu davanın akıbetinin öğrenilmesini talep etmişti.

Mahkeme Başkanı, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde bir dava açıldığını ve İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nin kendilerine birleştirme kararı gönderdiğini söyledi. Mahkeme Başkanı, İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi heyeti olarak birleştirmeye onay vermediklerini söyledi.

Duruşma savcısı, bu duruşmada da esas hakkındaki mütalaasını açıklamadı; eksiklerin giderilmesini mütalaa etti.

Mahkeme ara vermeden, kararını açıkladı.

Sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’ndeki dosyayla birleştirilmesini kabul etmeyen mahkeme, dosyayı İstanbul Bölge Adliye Mahkemesi’ne gönderdi.

Bir sonraki duruşmanın 22 Ekim 2019 saat 10.00’a bırakılmasına karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Avukatlar ve iki muhabirin salona girmesinin ardından salonun kapısı kapandı. Kapı kapandıktan sonra gelen izleyicilerin içeri alınmasına zorluk çıkarıldı.

Duruşmaya katılım

Duruşmaya altı avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı; P24, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) ve Türkiye Gazeteciler Sendikası’ndan temsilciler ve muhabirler takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadığı için, izleyici alanından sadece, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in dosyası ile ilgili konuşmalar ve bir sonraki duruşma tarihi duyulabildi.

Duruşma 10 dakika sürdü.

15. Standing - Jan. 11, 2019

Duruşma saatinde başladı ve 10 dakika sürdü.

Avukat Özcan Kılıç “KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında “görevi kötüye kullanma” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın akıbetinin öğrenilmesini talep etti.

“KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında “görevi kötüye kullanma” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın akıbetinin sorulmasına karar verildi.

Dava, 9 Mayıs 2019 gününe bırakıldı.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşma öngörülen saatte başladı. Öncesinde sanık gazeteciler ile duruşmayı takibe gelen gazeteciler sohbet etti. Duruşma öncesi herhangi bir destek açıklaması yapılmadı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu katılımcı sayısına göre genişti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve sözleri katılımcılar tarafından duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya iki sanık ve dokuz avukat katıldı. Dört muhabir duruşmayı haber/rapor amacıyla takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma yıllardır sürdüğü, halen esas hakkında mütalaa verilmediği ve davada ilerleme olmadığı için duruşmaya katılım çok düşüktü.

“KCK Press” Trial 15. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 16. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 17. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 18. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 19. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 20. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 21. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)


Creative Commons License

Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.