Evrim Kepenek

Born in 1977 in Rize, Evrim Kepenek studied at European Union department of the Istanbul University and later enrolled in the International Relations department of Bilgi University.

She worked for Cumhuriyet, Birgün, Taraf, DİHA and Jin News. She is also one of the authors of the cultural magazine GOR, a culture magazine of Hemşin.

She contributed to the books titled “From Blue to Green Women Portraits from Black Sea”, “Basket on Her Back”, “Media and Lies.” She is the winner of the 2011 Musa Anter Journalism Award.

In December 2011, she was detained along with 49 journalists and media workers due to an operation named the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) against Kurdish media staff, targeting mainly Dicle News Agency (DİHA), the Özgür Gündem newspaper, Fırat News Agency and Roj TV. Kepenek is currently on trial without arrest on charges of “membership to a terrorist organization.”

In this case, which is underway since September 2012, prosecution has not provided their opinion as to the accusations, yet.

She has been working as an editor for women and LGBTI news at Bianet since 2018.

“KCK Press” Trial

On Dec. 20, 2011, 49 journalists and employees of Kurdish media, including Evrim Kepenek, especially the Dicle News Agency (DİHA), the Özgür Gündem newspaper, Fırat News Agency and Roj TV, were detained during police raids on houses and offices within the KCK operations in Istanbul, Ankara, İzmir, Van, Adana and Diyarbakır.

Kepenek, a DİHA reporter at the time, was detained by security forces in her tent in Van, where she was assigned to cover the earthquake. Detained in Van, Kepenek was transferred to the Vatan Police Department in Istanbul.

In an investigation by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office, the journalists in custody and their lawyers were not informed about the accusations on the basis that there was a “confidentiality order” on the case.

Seven of the journalists were released after the interrogation with the prosecutor, and 42 journalists, including Kepenek, were referred to court.

After four days of detention, six journalists, including Kepenek, were released by the court on 24 December 2011. 36 journalists were placed in pretrial detention. In her statement at the prosecutor’s office, Kepenek said she had been working as a reporter for DİHA since 2010, and the materials seized in the DİHA tent were not hers. Kepenek denied all the charges.

The indictment was completed on April 27, 2012 by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office. In summary, the indictment argued that the “KCK/PKK Press Committee” and the Democratic Enlightenment Union (Yekîtiya Ragihandina Demokratik - YRD)” directed the broadcasting policy and news of the Kurdish media. In the indictment, 44 journalists and media workers were accused of “being an executive of an armed terrorist organization” or “being a member of an armed terrorist organization.”

In the indictment, the prosecutor assessed that “KCK/PKK’s Press Committee has held regular meetings since 2001 in order to consolidate the hierarchy in the media network of the organization, and that the Press Conferences have gradually turned into YRD Conferences” as well as “The Press Committee’s publication policy aims to be in line with the goals of establishing an independent Kurdistan.”

While the journalistic activities are defined as an organizational activity; the indictment lined up assessments such as “so-called journalism”, “news that would disrupt the image of the state”, “news that would put the Turkish state in trouble”, “organizational journalism”, and that “an independent journalist would not be able to make these news”, “state members were insulted in the photographs found on the computer.”

Thirty-seven pages of the 800-page indictment described the KCK/PKK structure. In this section, the statements of the prosecutor, the three members of the organization and three secret witnesses who were arrested or surrendered were included. The meetings of Öcalan with his lawyers and their correspondence were also mentioned.

The next 100 pages outline the history of the Kurdish media, newspapers, magazines, radio, television and internet sites that have been broadcasting since the 1970s and the allegations about the relationship of these media with the organization. The prosecution alleged that DİHA, ANF, Azadiya Welat and Roj TV were broadcasting in line with the goals of the KCK/PKK. It used the news, images, articles and interviews that these media organizations quoted from each other, secret witness statements, suspicious statements, and the KCK Convention’s chapter on the press as evidence.

Journalists’ news, journalistic activities, their reports for the media outlets such as Roj TV and ANF were considered as evidence of a crime. Six-hundred and fifty pages of the indictment consisted of individual evaluations of 44 journalists.

Dicle News Agency (DİHA), Fırat Printing Publication and Distribution Company, Gün Printing (the printing house where papers Azadiya Welat, Denge Welat, Özgür Gündem, New Democratic Society, New Democratic Life, New Democratic Nation newspapers; Free People, Democratic Modernity, Patriotic Youth papers were printed) Fırat News Agency (ANF), Azadiya Welat newspapers, Özgür Gündem, daily and weekly newspapers published in Turkish; Roj TV, Medya TV, Mesopotamia Radio and various media and news sites were listed as organs of the “KCK/PKK’s press.

The three-page long section on Evrim Kepenek begins on page 746 of the indictment.

In this section, the list of materials confiscated in the DİHA tent where Kepenek was detained, her phone call with the press adviser of the BDP Deputy Sırrı Süreyya Önder, the protests she followed and secret witness statement were included.

Under the section titled, “Materials seized from the suspect”, items such as photographs, notebooks, books, flash drives, memory cards, a pair of earrings, wallets, and DİHA business cards confiscated in the tent of the agency following the earthquake Kepenek was covering, were listed. The list included Kepenek’s credit card, student ID card and IETT card (bus card).

Under the title, “Evidence obtained from communication monitoring,” there was only one wiretapping of Kepenek’s communications.This record, allowed by the Istanbul 17th Assize Court, involved Kepenek’s phone call to the press adviser of the BDP Deputy Sirri Sureyya Onder where she asked about the program and whether Onder’s press team would send images to the agency. In his assessment on this wiretapped call, Prosecutor Bayraktar said “Kepenek spoke with X who called Diha and asked a reporter for a funeral tent; Kepenek said they were very busy, all assignments were made and a reporter could have been assigned if noticed earlier.”

Under the section titled “Evaluation and investigation of the materials obtained from the suspect”, five books and magazines through a decision of confiscation which were found in the Diha tent were also mentioned.

Two protests Kepenek covered were included in the indictment. The prosecutor argued that Kepenek participated in the protest for the killing of twelve people in Uludere, Şırnak on May 16, 2011 on behalf of the KCK/PKK Press Committee. The prosecutor also mentioned the protests on May 26, 2011 after Hatip Dicle, an MP of the BDP, was stripped of his parliamentary seat. The prosecutor mentioned how the protesters blocked traffic in Şişli, Istanbul, how the security forces got injured and how nearby shops were damaged. No assessment of Kepenek was made in this part.

Finally, the testimony of the secret witness “Batuhan Yıldız” was included; Yıldız claimed KCK/PKK Press Committee was reporting with orders from the PKK and Kepenek was also operating within the Press Committee. These statements were listed as evidence against Kepenek.

In his legal assessment on Evrim Kepenek, the prosecutor stated that Kepenek “was operating within the Press Committee of Turkey” and “worked as a reporter with DIHA.” The prosecutor alleged that Kepenek was acting under the instructions of the organization, and participated in secret meetings.

The proceedings, which were marked by debates on the right to defense in the mother tongue, took place in the 15th Assize Court (10 chapters consisting of 32 sessions) from Sept. 10, 2012 to March 3, 2014. On November 12, 2012, the hearings that began in the Caglayan Courthouse were moved to the Silivri campus courtroom. From March 26, 2014, to Jan. 11, 2018, 16 hearings were held at the Istanbul 3rd Assize Court at the Çağlayan Courthouse.

All the detainees travelled back and forth from Silivri to different prisons for the trials that lasted for days.

At the beginning of the trial, protests took place in the courtroom after the requests to make defenses in the mother tongue were rejected, and all journalists and lawyers in pretrial detention for the KCK started a hunger strike. The defendants continued to respond in the Kurdish and Zazaki languages during the identification sessions at the court.

There were often arguments and protests during the hearings, the microphones of the lawyers were turned off and the hall was evacuated. The 15th Assize Court denounced the audience, the lawyers and the defendants for applauding as a form of protest and for “the statements that went beyond the defense limits and constituted a crime.”

It took six hearings to finish reading out the 800-page indictment against 44 defendants and the 185-page indictment against two defendants, whose files were merged. The indictment was read out by two TRT presenters mostly to an empty hall. In January 2013, two more cases involving two other people who were on trial in another court and their 187-page indictment were merged with the KCK trial. When the reading of the indictments was completed on April 22, 2013 during the 12th hearing, 11 of the 37 detainees had been released.

Interpreters from the Kurdish Institute (Enstîtuya Kurdî) brought by lawyers for defense in Kurdish were also present at this hearing. The 25-page long defense in Kurdish, prepared on behalf of all the defendants, was read by the DİHA editor Ertuş Bozkurt, in the courtroom. Following the joint defense, the defendants in pretrial detention made their individual defenses. The defense of the defendants in pretrial detention was completed in the 17th hearing on June 18, 2013. After the statements by the lawyers, the other defendants, who were not pending trial, began their defenses in the 19th hearing on Sept. 25, 2013

Evrim Kepenek responded in Hamsheni at the Istanbul 15th Assize Court on Nov. 12, 2012, but her response wasn’t recorded in the minutes. During the 12th hearing on April 22, 2013, Kepenek responded in the Kurdish through an interpreter during the identification process. The following conversation followed:

The president of the court: Wasn’t your identification made in Turkish during previous hearings?
Kepenek: I don’t remember. Can’t you see it in the records?
President: We can but we haven’t looked. That’s why I’m asking you. What do you do for a living?
Kepenek (in Kurdish through an interpreter): Journalist.
President: Will you speak in Turkish or Kurdish. We’ll make arrangements in accordance. Kepenek: I’ll speak Kurdish when I can, Turkish when I can’t.
President: Okay, so you’ll make your defense through an interpreter. There’s nothing to laugh about here. If you’re laughing, you’re laughing at yourself, not at anyone else.

Kepenek started her defense at the 22nd session on October 28, 2013. Kepenek read her 40-page long defense in Turkish for two sessions. Judge, the president of the court, frequently intervened and said, “Be more calm”, “This is not a place for a show.” Kepenek started her defense by explaining why she spoke in Kurdish and Hamsheni in the identification session.

“(…)None of us ever thought of learning the language of friends who we work and produce with.(…) When I first started working for the agency, I wanted to learn Kurdish. They told me, “You should first learn your own mother tongue Hamsheni, not Kurdish.” When my friends, who made me who I am now, are prevented from speaking their own language in this hall, when they cannot express themselves for months, I couldn’t have come here and spoken in Turkish. I found this ethically wrong. That’s why I decided to say, “Ez li vir im” [Means ‘I’m here’ in Kurdish] until the demands for defense in mother tongue were partially accepted. When the demand for defense in mother tongue was accepted, I chose to say, “I’m here. Do you hear me?” in Hamsheni.”

Then, Kepenek spoke about the pressure against Turkey’s media and journalists. She also mentioned Bram Vermeulen who was living in Turkey but had to leave after his residence permit was not renewed. She later shared the data from the BIA Media Monitoring Report on journalists’ dismissals, police violence and detention.

After these statements, Kepenek started reading her defense consisting of eight chapters and 40 pages. She said, “As we are facing an indictment of 800 pages, as our journalism is being criminalized, I see it normal to read forty page long defense.”

In the first part, Kepenek talked about what news and journalism was and its principles as well as the functions of media organizations. In the second part, she gave examples of the challenges and censorship faced by journalists in Turkey based on a report by Amnesty International.

In the third chapter, she mentioned the history of censorship in Turkey, the murdered Kurdish and Armenian journalists, the decisions to shut down the Laz press for “separatism” allegations. In the fourth chapter, Kepenek talked about media and capital relations and in the fifth chapter she explained her own journalistic experience and why she was a journalist.

Kepenek said she frequently encountered the question of why she was working for DİHA even though she was not a Kurdish person during the detention process and answered this question in the sixth part of her defense. In the seventh section, Kepenek described the detention process during the earthquake in Van and in the eighth section she responded to the allegations in the indictment.

Kepenek spoke about how the yellow card for journalists (press credentials) was demanded for journalists recently, especially after the Gezi resistance, but this card was issued by the Prime Ministry’s Press Information Directorate and not by professional organizations. She said this card should not be the measure to see whether a person was a journalist.

She detailed the functioning of the editorial board and process, the duties of the employees at the court. Kepenek said, “When we look at this hall, we can find news directors, editors, reporters, and we are all on trial.” In the indictment, she recalled there were phone conversations with news sources. She told the court the importance of the news sources for journalists, and that it was normal for the journalist and the news source to speak on the phone.

As the 22nd session was delayed due to the October 29 Republic Day, Kepenek continued her defense during the 23rd session on Oct. 30, 2013. She continued “Yesterday there was an update in Turkey. President Abdullah Gul gave an award to the artist Ahmet Kaya.” As soon as she said this, Judge, the president of the court intervened, “Let us continue the defense. This is not a place for propaganda or a show. Abdullah Gul’s award to Ahmet Kaya has nothing to do with the defense.”Kepenek said, “There were many cases against Ahmet Kaya in this country. Years later, he received an award. I was going to express this.”

Kepenek talked about the history of the press in Turkey, how the Laz magazine Ognian was shut down on the grounds of producing separatist propaganda, the newly established Laz newspaper (Ağani Muruxi the-new star) at that time, the closed Kurdish newspapers, the history of the Armenian press. Kepenek also counted the names of the Kurdish Armenian journalists killed in Turkey.

“I want to say the names of some Kurdish journalist murdered in Turkey. On Feb. 25, 1992, Cengiz Altun, the correspondent for the Yeni Ülke in Batman; On June 2, 1992, in Nusaybin, Mecit Akgun, the Yeni Ülke correspondent; On June 8, 1992, Özgür Gündem correspondent Hafız Akdemir; Çetin Ababay from Özgür Halk Magazine in Batman on July 29, 1992; Yanla Orhan, the Özgür Gündem correspondent in Gercüş on Aug. 9, 1992; Hüseyin Deniz, the correspondent of the Özgür Gündem in Ceylanpınar on Aug. 9, 1992; Musa Anter, the columnist of the Özgür Gündem in Diyarbakır on Sept. 20, 1992; Orhan Karaağır, the Özgür Gündem correspondent in Van on Jan. 19, 1993; Kemal Kılıç, the Yeni Ülke correspondent in Şanlıurfa on Feb. 18, 1993. These are the Kurdish press workers and reporters who were killed.

And there are the newspaper distributors who were killed. I would like to share some of them. Halil Adanır on Nov. 21, 1992; Lokman Gündüz on December 31, 1992; Kemal Ekinci on Dec. 16, 1993; Teğmen Demir on June 5, 1993; Haşim Yaşay on June 14, 1993; Zülküf Akaya on Sept. 28, 1993; Adil Başkan on Nov. 9,1993; Yalçın Yaşa on Nov. 10, 1993. We also have such data on the Armenian press, and these are the data accepted by the Contemporary Journalists Association. I would like to share the names of some journalists killed since 1915. Rupen Zartarian, Yervant Sirmakeshhanliian, Armen Doryan, Levon Larents…”

Referring to media-capital and media-state relations, Kepenek said news about the Roboski massacre, prisoners in Pozantı prison, the sexual abuse of prisoners, the burning of the villages, mass graves, unsolved murders, earthquake victims freezing to death in camps were tried to be to made invisible. She said in the mainstream media facts were either hidden or distorted. Kepenek shared information about the change of media groups, the confiscation of media organizations, and the establishment of new newspapers and televisions after the AKP came to power in 2002. She presented examples of blacklisting headlines in the mainstream media after the KCK Press operation.

Kepenek gave examples on her coverage of ecology news andwomen-focused news. She stated these were her responses to the constant question: “Why do you work at DİHA?” Evrim Kepenek said while she was preparing for this defense for two years, even her name was misspelled in the indictment and her friends were in prison. Judge, interfered again, “Be calm. You’re not on a show here, you are making your defense.” Kepenek, trying to continue her defense, was warned a few more times with the “do not do make a show” statement by Judge who decided to take a 15-minute break after the exchange.

After the break, Kepenek continued her defense by adding that she was detained in the press tent in Van, where she went to cover the earthquake. She said the police raided the Diha office, which was badly damaged due to the earthquake, and the confiscated items were recorded in the minutes. She stated nothing except her suitcase belonged to her and she reiterated this during her detention, and more importantly the confiscated items did not contain any criminal elements.

Kepenek said the indictment included a telephone conversation with a deputy’s adviser, which was entirely in relation to the news and that this could be understood from the records.

Kepenek also added that she was there with other agencies and newspaper reporters to cover the news, and that the indictment clearly mentions she was seen with a camera in her hand to follow the story. She added that she did not accept the statements by the secret witness.

At the hearing on Jan. 13, 2014 during the 30th session, the lawyers demanded the proceedings at the Istanbul 15th Assize Court be suspended and also demanded the release of the prisoners, arguing that the controversy on the possible abolition of the current Special Competent Courts (SCC) also made this court controversial. The court rejected this request. However, with the amendment of the relevant law on Feb. 21, 2014, the SCCs were completely abolished, and the hearings continued at the Istanbul Third Assize Court after July 10, 2014. After the abolishment of the SCCs, all the detainees, pending trial, were released, the travel ban for the 37 defendants was removed.

The lawyers said the proceedings in the abolished SCCs lost their legitimacy, and that the continuation of these proceedings in the Assize Courts was unconstitutional. The Istanbul Third Assize Court sent the file to the Constitutional Court to examine the allegations of unconstitutionality. The court awaited two hearings in order to receive a reply from the Constitutional Court, and after 16 months the court decided to take the case as the Constitutional Court did not respond.

The lawyers reiterated their demands to wait for the decision of the Constitutional Court and the acquittal of all the defendants. Most of the law enforcement officers, prosecutors and judges who were involved in the investigation, prosecution and judiciary process were either detained or they deserted after the failed July 15 coup attempt. The case was then transferred to the Istanbul Third Assize Court. The lawyers demanded the legal proceedings against these figures to be added to the file. While accepting this request, the court ruled that all prosecutions and investigations against the accused journalists should also be included in the file.

Of the 46 defendants, only the deserted defendant Ismet Kayhan did not make his defense in court. The substitution of evidence has not taken place yet. The ongoing case against the law enforcement officers, who were involved during the investigation process and are on trial at the Istanbul 26th Criminal Court of First Instance, is expected to be attached to the case. At the same time, the arrest warrant against Ismet Kayhan is expected to be executed. The 16th hearing of the case was held on May 21, 2019. In the seven-year trial, the prosecution still did not disclose its opinion on the merits. The next hearing of the case was scheduled for 10:00 am Oct. 22, 2019.

17th hearing of the case took place at October 22nd, 2019. Next hearing is set to February 25th, 2020.

In this case, which is underway since September 2012, prosecution has not provided their opinion as to the accusations, yet.

The 19th hearing of the trial took place on July 2nd. The president of the court stated that the writ sent to the General Secretariat of Council of Judges and Prosecutors (HSK) about the progress in the trial was added to the case file. Accordingly, HSK demanded information from the court for the disciplinary investigation against Bilal Bayraktar, a prosecutor dismissed for alleged “membership of the Fethullahist Terror Organization.” Bayraktar was the prosecutor in charge of indictment and hearings at KCK Press Trial. Journalist Çağdaş Ulus’ lawyer Mehtap Acar Ulus stated that her client was included in the trial via manipulation. She demanded that his file be separated from the collective file and Ulus be acquitted. The court ruled to await the execution of the arrest warrant against İsmet Kayhan, who lives abroad.

The 20th hearing was held on December 1st, 2020. Two members of the panel of judges had changed.

Of the defendant journalists, only İsmail Yıldız (Rawin Sterk) attended the hearing. İstanbul 34th High Criminal Court had decided to merge the case file for “membership of an armed terror organization” and “spreading propaganda in a continuous manner for a terror organization” with the case file of the “KCK Press Trial”. The court stated that it had received the said file.

Lawyer Özcan Kılıç demanded the cancellation of İsmail Yıldız’s overseas travel ban. He requested that Yüksel Genç be relieved from the obligation to attend the hearings. The court accepted both requests.

Mehtap Acar Ulus, the lawyer of journalist Çağdaş Ulus, requested that her client’s trial be separated from the main file. The request was rejected.

The court ruled to lift Yüksel Genç’s obligation to attend the hearings.

The trial was adjourned until the 21st hearing on March 4th, 2021.

In this case, which is underway since September 2012, prosecution has not provided their opinion as to the accusations, yet.

European Court of Human Right Process

At November 20th, European Court of Human Rights(ECHR) denied the request regarding the case in which the journalists were being tried, with the reasoning that making a personal appeal to the Constitutional Court was still possible. The attorneys had made the request due to false imprisonment. However, at the time of the arrests and the request to the ECHR, the requirement to make the individual appeal to the Constitutional Court prior to the application to the ECHR, had not come into force.

21. Standing - March 4, 2021

Mahkeme heyetinin yerini almasıyla birlikte duruşma, daha önceden belirlenen saatinde başladı. Yargılanan gazetecilerden Rawin Stêrk Yıldız ve avukatlar duruşmada hazır bulundu.
Duruşma savcısı dosyadaki eksik hususların tamamlanmasını istedi.

Avukat Sercan Korkmaz, müvekkili Rawin Stêrk Yıldız’ın el konulan telefonun iade edilmesini talep etti. Davanın diğer avukatları da dosyadaki eksiklerin giderilmesin talep etti.

Mahkeme heyeti, İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının devamı yönünde karar verdi. Gazeteci Rawin Stêrk Yıldız’ın el konulan telefonun iade edilmesini yönündeki talebin sonraki duruşma karara bağlayacağını açıklayan mahkeme heyeti, eksik hususların tamamlanmasının beklenilmesine karar verdi.

Mahkeme, duruşmayı 22 Haziran 2021 tarihine, saat 10:30’a erteledi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Adliyeye girişler Covid-19 salgını nedeniyle tek sıra halinde yapıldı. HES kodu sorgulaması yapıldı. Kapıların girişleri bariyer ve uyarı yazıları ile bir birinden ayrıldı. Yurttaşlar, gazeteciler ve avukatlar X-Ray cihazından geçirildi. Yurttaşlar, ateş ölçümü yapılarak adliyeye alındı. Duruşmanın yapıldığı salonunun önü çok kalabalık değildi. Gazetecilerin duruşma salonu önüne geçmesine engel çıkarılmadı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu, adliyedeki standart salonlardan bir tanesiydi. SEGBİS için iki ayrı ekran kurulmuştu. Gazeteci ve izleyiciler için ayrı bir yer, avukat ve sanıklar için ayrı yer ayrılmıştı. İzleyici sıralarına pandemi dolayısıyla uyarı yazıları asıldığı görüldü. İzleyiciler duruşma salonuna alınmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmayı P24 ve bazı internet haber siteleri izledi.

20. Standing - Dec. 1, 2020

Saat 09.50’de başlaması gereken duruşma, yaklaşık 15 dakika gecikmeyle, saat 10.05’te başladı. Mahkeme heyetinden iki üyenin değiştiği gözlendi.

Duruşmaya, yargılanan gazetecilerden sadece İsmail Yıldız (Rawin Sterk) katıldı. İstanbul 34. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi, Yıldız hakkında “silahlı terör örgütüne üye olmak” ve “zincirleme şekilde terör örgütü propagandası yapmak” suçlaması ile açılan davanın yargılama dosyasının “KCK Basın Davası” yargılama dosyası ile birleştirilmesine karar vermişti. Bu dosyanın mahkemeye geldiği belirtildi.

Duruşma savcısı, dosyadaki eksiklerin giderilmesini talep etti.

Avukat Özcan Kılıç, İsmail Yıldız hakkında uygulanan yurt dışına çıkış yasağının kaldırılmasını talep etti.

Gazeteci Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatı Mehtap Acar Ulus ise, Ulus hakkındaki yargılama dosyasının ana dosyadan ayrılmasını talep etti.

Mahkeme heyeti, duruşmaya kısa bir ara verdi.

Mahkeme, Yüksel Genç’in duruşmalara katılma zorunluluğunun kaldırılmasına karar verdi.

İsmail Yıldız’ın da yurtdışına çıkış yasağının kaldırılmasına karar verildi.

Çağdaş Ulus hakkındaki yargılama dosyasının ayrılması talebi reddedildi.

Yargılamanın, 4 Mart 2021 tarihinde görülecek 21. duruşma ile devam etmesine karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Koronavirüs karşısında alınan önlemler kapsamında, adliyeye; tek sıra halinde girilebildi. Bu düzen, bariyerler ve uyarı yazıları ile sağlandı. Ateş ölçümü ve X-Ray taraması yapıldı.

Duruşmanın yapıldığı salonun önü çok kalabalık değildi. Gazetecilerin, duruşma salonunun önünde beklemesi engellenmedi.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonunda; gazeteciler, gözlemciler, avukatlar ve sanıklar için hazırlanan yerler birbirinden ayrıydı.

İzleyiciler için ayrılan her iki oturma yerinden biri, koronavirüs karşısında alınan sosyal mesafe önleminin sağlanması için uyarı yazıları ile kapatılmıştı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmayı, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) gözlemcisi ve bazı internet haber sitelerinin muhabirleri takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Koronavirüs pandemisi karşısında alınan tedbirler kapsamında, gazetecilerin ve gözlemcilerin duruşma salonuna alınmayacağı belirtildi. Ancak, bu sırada duruşma başlamış, gazeteciler ve gözlemciler duruşma salonundaki yerlerini almıştı. Gazeteci ve gözlemcilerin, bir seferliğine duruşmayı izlemelerine izin verildi.

Mahkeme başkanı gergindi. Taleplerini dile getiren Avukat Özcan Kılıç’a karşı iki kez sesini yükseltti.

19. Standing - July 2, 2020

Duruşma, gelen evrakların tutanağa geçirilmesiyle başladı.

Mahkeme heyeti başkanı; Hakimler ve Savcılar Kurulu (HSK) Genel Sekreterliği’nden bu yargılamanın geldiği aşama ile ilgili bilginin istendiği yazının dosyaya eklendiğini açıkladı. Buna göre, HSK; “Fethullahçı Terör Örgütü üyesi olduğu” iddiasıyla meslekten çıkarılan savcı Bilal Bayraktar ile ilgili disiplin soruşturması için mahkemeden bilgi istiyordu. Savcı Bayraktar, “KCK Basın” yargılamasının soruşturma ve iddianame savcısıydı.

Gazeteci Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatı Mehtap Acar Ulus, Çağdaş Ulus’un bir manipülasyon yoluyla bu davaya dahil edildiğini söyledi. Çağdaş Ulus hakkındaki dosyanın, bu dosyadan ayrılmasını ve Ulus’un beraatini talep etti.

Hakimler ve Savcılar Kurulu‘nun (HSK) savcı Bilal Bayraktar hakkındaki disiplin soruşturması kapsamında, “KCK Basın” yargılamasıyla ilgili gelişmelerin ve kararın HSK Genel Sekreterliği’ne bildirilmesine yönelik yazı, dosyaya eklendi.

“FETÖ üyesi olduğu” iddiasıyla meslekten çıkartılan savcı Bayraktar, “KCK Basın” dosyasının da soruşturma ve iddianame savcısıydı.

Çağdaş Ulus müdafii avukat Mehtap Acar Ulus, müvekkili hakkında beraat talebiyle yazılı beyan sundu. Ulus’un dosyasının KCK Basın dosyasından ayrılmasını talep etti.

Diğer sanık müdafiileri, bu aşamada bir talepleri olmadığını söyledi.

Mahkeme, Çağdaş Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılması yönündeki talebini reddetti.

HSK’nın iddianame savcısı Bilal Bayraktar hakkında yürüttüğü disiplin soruşturması için, yargılamanın her aşamasının HSK Genel Sekreterliği’ne bildirilmesine karar verildi.

Ayrıca, sanıklardan yurtdışında ikamet eden İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının yerine getirilmesinin beklenmesine karar verildi.

Yargılamanın, 1 Aralık 2020 tarihinde görülecek 20. duruşma ile devam etmesine karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Güvenlik görevlisi, bariyerlerin geçilmesine izin verdi. Duruşma öncesi salonun önü boştu. Avukatlar tam duruşma saatinde, salonun önüne geldi.

Avukatlardan birinin beklenmesine karar verildi. Avukatın, o sırada başka bir mahkemede karar beklediği için geciktiği belirtildi.

Duruşma 10 dakika gecikmeli başladı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonunda yaklaşık 25 kişilik oturma alanı vardı. “Koronavirüs” pandemisi karşısında alınan tedbirleri kapsamında, sosyal mesafenin sağlanması için sandalyelere birer aralıkla bantlar çekilmişti.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) ve Türkiye Gazeteciler Sendikası’ndan gözlemciler katıldı.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma 18 dakika sürdü.

Pandemi nedeniyle izleme alanında fiziksel mesafe önlemleri alınmıştı ancak salonda bulunan mahkeme başkanı, iki heyet üyesi, savcı ve katip arasında sadece bir mahkeme heyeti üyesi maskesini takıyordu.

Mahkeme başkanı duruşma boyunca mikrofonunu kullanmadı ve kısık sesle konuştu. Söyledikleri izleyiciler tarafından duyulmadı.

18. Standing - Feb. 25, 2020

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 10 dakika sonra başladı, karar için verilen 5 dakikalık ara dahil, toplam 35 dakika sürdü.

Duruşmaya, Ses ve Görüntülü Bilişim Sistemi (SEGBİS) ile katılması beklenen Yüksel Genç, mahkeme salonunda hazır bulundu. Genç, yaptığı savunmayı ayrıca yazılı olarak da sundu.

Genç savunmasında, hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen ve daha sonra “KCK Basın” ile birleştirilen dosyanın iddianamesine tepki gösterdi. Demokratik Toplum Kongresi (DTK) kuruculuğuyla suçlandığı bu dosyadaki deliller arasında hakkındaki teknik takip delillerinin de gösterildiğini, ancak kendisinin o tarihlerde “KCK Basın” davasından tutuklu olduğunu açıkladı.

DTK’da 2009-2011 arası görev yaptığını ve DTK’nın yasadışı bir yapı olmadığını söyledi, suçlamaları reddetti. TBMM Anayasa Komisyonu’nun DTK’dan resmi olarak görüş istediğine dair belgeyi mahkemeye sundu.

Sanıklardan Hüseyin Deniz de salonda hazır bulundu. Deniz bu aşamada söyleyecek bir şeyi olmadığını ifade etti.

Ardından Çağdaş Ulus’un avukatlığını üstlenen eşi sözü aldı. Ulus’la 5 senedir tanıştıklarını, çocuklarının 1 yaşında olduğunu ancak bu davanın halen devam ettiğini söyledi. Ayrıca eşi Ulus’un 2011’de gözaltına alınmadan birkaç ay önce zorunlu askerlik hizmetini yerine getirdiğini anlattı; teröristlikle suçlanmasına tepki gösterdi. Dosyasının ayrılmasını talep etti.

Ardından söz alan diğer tüm sanıklar müdafii Özcan Kılıç, öncelikle Yüksel Genç’in duruşmalardan vareste tutulmasını talep etti. Sanıklardan Ziya Çiçekçi hakkında açılan başka bir dosyanın birleştirilmesini de istedi.

Kılıç, müvekkillerinin DTK üyesi olmakla suçlandığını, ancak DTK’nın yasadığı bir yapı olmadığını anlattı. DTK’nın yasadışı bir örgüt olup olmadığının tespit edilmesini talep etti.

Avukat Kılıç, “KCK Basın’ dosyasının soruşturma aşamasında gözaltına alınan, o dönem AFP (Agence France Presse, Fransız Haber Ajansı) muhabiri Mustafa Özer’in MİT ajanı olduğunun ortaya çıktığını” iddia etti. İlk başta şüpheli listesinde yer alan ancak şu an dosyada bulunmayan Özer’in mahkeme huzurunda dinlenmesini talep etti.

Mahkeme karar için 5 dakika ara verdi.

Mahkeme sanıkların ve müdafilerinin tüm taleplerini reddetti.

İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama emrinin infazının beklenmesine karar verdi.

Bir sonraki duruşma 2 Temmuz 2020 saat 10.00’da görülecek.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşmadan birkaç dakika önce polis barikatı açılarak gazetecilerin salon önüne geçişine izin verildi.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu yaklaşık 30 kişilikti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve duruşmada konuşulan hiçbir şey izleyici bölümünden duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya sanık müdafii olarak sekiz avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı; Gazetecileri Koruma Komitesi (CPJ), P24 ve Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) temsilcileri takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 10 dakika sonra başladı, karar için verilen 5 dakikalık ara dahil, toplam 35 dakika sürdü.

Duruşma devam ederken, bir sonraki duruşmanın SEGBİS bağlantısı kuruldu ve SEGBİS’le bağlanan kişi kendi duruşmasını bekledi.

Duruşma esnasında mahkeme başkanının sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’e “sen” diyerek hitap etmesine bir avukat itiraz etti. Mahkeme başkanı “Bu sen-siz tartışması yıllardır sürüyor” dedi ve “sen” ifadesinin sıkıntılı bir ifade olmadığını söyleyerek duruşmaya devam etti.

Mahkeme karar için ara verdiğinde salon boşaltıldı. Ancak savcının salonda oturuyordu. 5 dakika sonra salonun kapısı açıldı. Mahkeme başkanının bir sonraki duruşma tarihini söylemesiyle duruşma sona erdi. Mahkeme başkanı erkek, heyetin iki üyesi kadın hakimdi.

17. Standing - Oct. 22, 2019

Bir önceki duruşmada, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen dosyanın KCK Basın dosyasıyla birleştirilmesi talebi, İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi tarafından reddedilmişti.

İki duruşma arasında, İstinaf Mahkemesi; Genç hakkındaki iki dosyanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde birleştirilmesine resen karar verdi.

Yargılamanın 17. duruşması, bu kararın dosyaya eklenmesiyle başladı. Yeni dosya eklendiği için Genç’in tekrar savunma sunması istendi. Avukat Özcan Kılıç, Genç’in savunması için Diyarbakır’da hazır edileceğini ifade etti.

Sanıklardan Ziya Çiçekçi hakkında, “terör örgütü yayınlarını basmak ve yayınlamak” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 15. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde görülen dosyanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde birleştirilmesi için muvafakat (kabul etme) yazısı geldi. Avukat Özcan Kılıç da dosyaların birleştirilmesi talebinde bulundu.

Avukat Mehtap Acar Ulus, FETÖ suçlamasıyla yargılanan ve etkin pişmanlıktan yararlanan bir emniyet müdürünün, müvekkili Çağdaş Ulus’un sahte delillerle tutuklandığına dair ifadelerinin olduğunu belirtti ve bu konudaki delilleri mahkemeye sundu. Müvekkili Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılmasını talep etti.

Mahkeme, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in bir sonraki duruşmada savunmasını Ses ve Görüntü Bilişim Sistemi üzerinden (SEGBİS) sunmak üzere Diyarbakır’da bir mahkemede hazır edilmesi için talimat yazılmasına karar verdi.

Çağdaş Ulus’un dosyasının ayrılması yönündeki talebi reddetti. Ziya Çiçekçi’nin dosyasının birleştirilmesi talebini de reddetti.

İsmet Kayhan hakkındaki yakalama kararının infazının beklenmesine de karar veren mahkeme bir sonraki duruşmanın 25 Şubat 2020 saat 10.30’da görüleceğini açıkladı.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşma öncesi gazetecilerin bir kısmının barikattan geçip mahkeme salonu önünde beklemesine izin verildi.

Mahkeme salonu önü kalabalıklaştıktan sonra ise barikattan geçişler kapatıldı. İki gazetecinin salon önüne yaklaşkasına duruşma başladığı ana kadar izin verilmedi.

Gazeteciler ve güvenlik görevlileri arasında tartışma yaşandı. Gazetecilerden biri, güvenlik görevlisine “keyfi davrandığını” söyledi. Bunun üzerine güvenlik görevlisi barikatı kapatarak “Sadece senin geçişine izin vermiyorum, keyfi değil mi” dedi.

Duruşmanın başlamasıyla, güvenlik şefi gelerek, gazetecilerin içeri girişini sağladı.

Mahkeme Salonu koşulları

Mahkeme salonu katılımcı sayısına göre genişti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve duruşmada konuşulan hiçbir şey izleyici bölümünden duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya sanık müdafii olarak altı avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı, P24 ve Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) temsilcileri ve gazeteciler takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma öngörülen saatten 40 dakika sonra başladı, 25 dakika sürdü.

Salona girdikten sonra yaklaşık 10 dakika boyunca mahkeme katibi dosyayla ilgili telefonda konuştu. İzleyici bölümünden sadece “Burası terör mahkemesi değil” cümlesi duyuldu.

Avukatlar, konuşmanın; sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan dava dosyasının KCK Basın dosyasıyla birleştirilmesiyle ilgili olduğunu açıkladı.

Duruşma başladığında, avukatlardan biri başka bir adliyede de duruşması olduğu için ayrılacağını ifade etti. Bunun üzerine mahkeme başkanı öfkelendi, birkaç dakikalık bir tartışma yaşandı.

Mahkeme karar için ara verdiğinde salon boşaltıldı. Beş dakika sonra salonun kapısı açıldı. Mahkeme başkanının bir sonraki duruşma tarihini söylemesiyle duruşma sona erdi.

Mahkeme heyeti üyelerinden biri değişmişti. Mahkeme başkanı erkek, heyetin iki üyesi kadın hakimdi.

16. Standing - May 9, 2019

Mahkeme Başkanı, mikrofon kullanmadığı için 10 dakika süren duruşma boyunca katılımcılar çok az şey duyabildi.

Daha sonra duruşma tutanağından edinilen bilgiye göre, İstanbul İl Emniyet Müdürlüğü’nün sanık Dilek Demiral’ın pasaportu üzerindeki şerhin kaldırılması şeklindeki işlemlerin devam ettiği yönünde cevabı dosyaya eklendi.

Ayrıca “KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında görevi kötüye kullanma suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesinde görülen yargılamanın devam ettiğine dair cevap ve duruşma zaptı örneği de mahkemeye ulaştı. Avukat Özcan Kılıç, Ocak 2019’da görülen bir önceki duruşmada bu davanın akıbetinin öğrenilmesini talep etmişti.

Mahkeme Başkanı, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde bir dava açıldığını ve İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nin kendilerine birleştirme kararı gönderdiğini söyledi. Mahkeme Başkanı, İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi heyeti olarak birleştirmeye onay vermediklerini söyledi.

Duruşma savcısı, bu duruşmada da esas hakkındaki mütalaasını açıklamadı; eksiklerin giderilmesini mütalaa etti.

Mahkeme ara vermeden, kararını açıkladı.

Sanıklardan Yüksel Genç hakkında İstanbul 14. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın İstanbul 3. Ağır Ceza Mahkemesi’ndeki dosyayla birleştirilmesini kabul etmeyen mahkeme, dosyayı İstanbul Bölge Adliye Mahkemesi’ne gönderdi.

Bir sonraki duruşmanın 22 Ekim 2019 saat 10.00’a bırakılmasına karar verildi.

Duruşma Öncesi

Avukatlar ve iki muhabirin salona girmesinin ardından salonun kapısı kapandı. Kapı kapandıktan sonra gelen izleyicilerin içeri alınmasına zorluk çıkarıldı.

Duruşmaya katılım

Duruşmaya altı avukat katıldı. Duruşmayı; P24, Medya ve Hukuk Çalışmaları Derneği (MLSA) ve Türkiye Gazeteciler Sendikası’ndan temsilciler ve muhabirler takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadığı için, izleyici alanından sadece, sanıklardan Yüksel Genç’in dosyası ile ilgili konuşmalar ve bir sonraki duruşma tarihi duyulabildi.

Duruşma 10 dakika sürdü.

15. Standing - Jan. 11, 2019

Duruşma saatinde başladı ve 10 dakika sürdü.

Avukat Özcan Kılıç “KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında “görevi kötüye kullanma” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın akıbetinin öğrenilmesini talep etti.

“KCK Basın” soruşturmasını yürüten emniyet görevlileri hakkında “görevi kötüye kullanma” suçlamasıyla İstanbul 26. Asliye Ceza Mahkemesi’nde açılan davanın akıbetinin sorulmasına karar verildi.

Dava, 9 Mayıs 2019 gününe bırakıldı.

Duruşma Öncesi

Duruşma öngörülen saatte başladı. Öncesinde sanık gazeteciler ile duruşmayı takibe gelen gazeteciler sohbet etti. Duruşma öncesi herhangi bir destek açıklaması yapılmadı.

Mahkeme Salonu Koşulları

Mahkeme salonu katılımcı sayısına göre genişti. Mahkeme başkanı mikrofon kullanmadı ve sözleri katılımcılar tarafından duyulmadı.

Duruşmaya Katılım

Duruşmaya iki sanık ve dokuz avukat katıldı. Dört muhabir duruşmayı haber/rapor amacıyla takip etti.

Genel Gözlemler

Duruşma yıllardır sürdüğü, halen esas hakkında mütalaa verilmediği ve davada ilerleme olmadığı için duruşmaya katılım çok düşüktü.

“KCK Press” Trial 15. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 16. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 17. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 18. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 19. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 20. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

“KCK Press” Trial 21. Standing (Minutes of the Hearing)

Contact: pressinarrest@gmail.com

Creative Commons License

Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.